Inter-Institutional Historic Costume Collection Portal
Our goal: one online home for many digital collections of historic costume
• To showcase collections from all over the country, or perhaps the globe!
• Through one simple search, to be able to see which collections have examples of work by a specific designer, from a specific period, with a specific construction detail, etc.
• To be able to look at digital images of such search results side by side, whether the object in question is in New York or Indiana
How do we achieve this goal?
• agreement on the format of a standard catalog entry
o compare current examples of our catalog entries and look for commonalities
• agreement on the format of images, including photos and QTVRs
• creation of a federated search engine specific to our field
• opening up individual collections to metadata harvesting
• grant support for several collaborating institutions to develop this resource
• grant support to host this resource
• current centralized resources are mostly text-based
o how do we develop this concept for works that need equal support for text and image?
o it’s not just an image search, either
o complex objects with multiple images, references, etc.
• financial considerations
o if many institutions participate, who hosts and maintains the resource?
o hopefully grant funding can provide a solution