Pokemon are divided into four categories: common, rare, very rare, and horribly rare. Rare pokemon can usually be found in a few hours, very rare pokemon will take up to a day or two and horribly rare pokemon can take weeks. This section will cover very rare and horrible rare.
Don't forget you can type /list pokemon to find any pokemon in the game! (For example: /list Pikachu)
Guide to catching rare pokemon successfully
1. First of all, make sure you always have pokeballs on you... They are cheap and easy to replace. As soon as you use one, buy a replacement! Always have at least 10 at all times, but more is better. Trust me, you will be beating yourself up if you miss out on Pikachu because you spent less than 1K on balls.
2. Before you even waste pokeballs, lower its health. Use very weak attacks! Right now some of the attacks are unbalanced/buggy so make sure you know what an attack does before you use it. Poison powder is a great move that does tiny damage each turn. Also, try using a pokemon that will have a type disadvantage to the pokemon you're trying to catch, so that you don't accidentally kill it.
3. Don't chat while you are battling a rare pokemon! By pressing space sometimes you will accidentally flee from battle.
Horribly Rare Pokemon:
(note: some of these pokemon are also very rare/rare/common in other areas)
- Machop - Rock Tunnel, Mt Moon BF1
- Cubone - Route 9, Route 10
- Scyther - Viridian Forest, Safari Zone 1
- Seedot - Cinnabar Tunnel
- Snorlax - Route 12
- Sudowoodo - Route 36
- Carvanha - Science Lab - Water lvl2
- Spheal - Science Lab - Water lvl2
- Rhyhorn - Safari Zone 4
- Gastly - Route 36, Pokemon Tower F6, Pokemon Tower F7
- Heracross - Route 34
- Remoraid - Route 44
- Koffing - Secret Tunnel
- Phanpy - Route 45, Route 46
- Jynx - Ice Path F1, Seafoam Islands B3F, Seafoam Islands B4F
- Onix - Mt Moon BF2, (VR on Union Cave)
- Wobbuffet - Dark Cave East
- Teddiursa - Johto Safari Zone (VR on Dark Cave)
- Cyndaquil - Johto Safari Zone
- Totodile - Johto Safari Zone
- Chikorita - Johto Safari Zone
- Corsola - Olivine City, Cinnabar Island, Route 19, Route 20, Route 21
- Barboach - Johto Safari Zone
- Chinchou - Route 45, Vermillion and other rare places)
- Pinsir - Viridian Forest, Safari Zone 2
- Chansey - Safari Zone 1, Safari Zone 3
- Duskull - Pokemon Tower F7
- Elekid - Power Plant
- Gligar - Mt Moon F1
- Houndour - Route 7
- Kangaskhan - Safari Zone 2, Safari Zone 4
- Marill - Route 42
- Miltank - Route 38, Route 39
- Mr. Mime - Route 21
- Omanyte - Seafoam Islands B4F
- Quagsire - Route 13
- Skarmory - Route 45
- Slugma - Route 18, Route 17, Route 16
- Dratini - Science Lab-Water lvl2
- Slugma - Route 18, Route 17, Route 16
- Ponyta - Route 17, Route 26, Route 27
- Elekid - Power plant
- Qwilfish - Route 12, Route 13
- Shellder - Route 11, Route 18, Route 21, Vermillion (and other rare places)
- Kabuto - Cinnabar Tunnel West, Cinnabar Tunnel East
- Ditto - Route 14, Route 15
- Sneasel - Ice Path BF3, Ice Path BF2
- Ursaring - Dark Cave West
Very Rare Pokemon:
Pikachu, Pinsir and Scyther
Location: Viridian Forest. Be warned, it is very hard to find and may take up days. Scyther and pinsir are found in this location as well.
Location: Onix is found in Mt. Moon BF1 only if you are just starting your journey . If you are going to Cerulean from Pewter, he is found in the small room with two ladders.
Machop and Clefairy
Location: In Mt Moon BF2. You can probably get it on any part of BF2, but here's a screen showing you the area where I found mine. (Machop)
Location: Route 14
Location: Route 13, 14 and 15.
Dratini, Lapras, Carvanha and Spheal
Located in an underground room reachable only after you've finished a pair of quests. You'll need a rod and LOTS of patience.
Sudowoodo and Gastly
Hidden well on Route 36, Sudowoodo only appears in one patch of grass. You hear us - one. (Not one tile, the entire grassy area in this picture).Gastly will only appear at night on the same patch of grass or you can find it at the Lavender Town ghost tower on the last floor. Happy hunting.
Location: Into Johto Safari Zone (Cianwood City) - in the top left side of the map. It can also be found in the north caves
of Secret Area 1.